Always wanted to take your Off-Road Caravan to the Cape but unsure about doing it by yourself? We can show you how to do it while removing the uncertainty of where you should take your van and what highlights you should see.
This tour is based on the tour we did with YouTubers and soon-to-be Channel 7 stars "The Feel Good Family" in August 2023. This showed us that it could be done without destroying your vehicle and van. Check out the links below to see their YouTube show of our tour up the Cape. You will also get to see tour guide Tony in action as he demonstrates sand recovery and talks about tyre pressures, among other topics.
Our comprehensive itinerary will have you experiencing the best of what the Cape region has to offer. Travel at a leisurely pace, within the security of a group tour environment. You don't need to have any off-road driving experience because your guide is also a professional 4WD instructor.
Get your iconic photo at the Tip of Cape York, experience a day trip to Thursday Island, learn all about bauxite in Weipa, drive on some of the Old Tele Track, swim in crystal clear streams, go fishing in remote locations, camp in wilderness settings, see wildlife that exists nowhere else and have the experience of a lifetime.
Your tour leader Tony is a full-time professional guide, certified by Savannah Guides, EcoGuides Australia and Tour Guides Australia, and he holds a Nationally Recognized Cert IV qualification in 4WD Training and Assessment. All this and he has a Degree in Tourism and a Masters Degree in Wildlife Management (meaning you'll get to see the awesome wildlife the Cape is famous for).
See below for what's included in the Cape York Tour FAQs below.
Duration: 16 Nights
Start/End: Cooktown to Atherton
Cost: $7385 per vehicle including 2 people - Extra passengers $1000ea. 10% Discount for returning customers. Prices subject to change.
• 22 Aug - 6 Sept
From $7802 per vehicle incl. 2 people
Terms and Conditions are provided with pre-booking information. Itinerary is provided once a deposit has been paid.
You can phone or email Tony directly about the tour on the contact details below.
"𝑂𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑏𝑎𝑐𝑘 𝑜𝑓 𝑑𝑜𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑆𝑖𝑚𝑝𝑠𝑜𝑛 𝐶𝑟𝑜𝑠𝑠𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑙𝑎𝑠𝑡 𝑦𝑒𝑎𝑟 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝑇𝑜𝑛𝑦, 𝑖𝑡 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑎𝑛 𝑒𝑎𝑠𝑦 𝑐ℎ𝑜𝑖𝑐𝑒 𝑡𝑜 𝑠𝑖𝑔𝑛-𝑢𝑝 𝑎𝑔𝑎𝑖𝑛 𝑡𝑜 𝑑𝑜 𝐶𝑎𝑝𝑒 𝑌𝑜𝑟𝑘 𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑠 𝑦𝑒𝑎𝑟. 𝑇𝑜𝑛𝑦'𝑠 𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑓𝑒𝑠𝑠𝑖𝑜𝑛𝑎𝑙 𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑒𝑎𝑠𝑦-𝑔𝑜𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑝𝑒𝑟𝑠𝑜𝑛𝑎𝑏𝑙𝑒 𝑎𝑝𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑎𝑐ℎ 𝑠𝑒𝑒𝑚𝑠 𝑡𝑜 𝑏𝑟𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑎 𝑔𝑟𝑜𝑢𝑝 𝑜𝑓 𝑝𝑒𝑜𝑝𝑙𝑒, 𝑠𝑡𝑟𝑎𝑛𝑔𝑒𝑟𝑠 𝑎𝑡 𝑓𝑖𝑟𝑠𝑡, 𝑡𝑜𝑔𝑒𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑙𝑦 𝑜𝑛, 𝑒𝑛𝑗𝑜𝑦𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑒𝑎𝑐ℎ 𝑜𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟’𝑠 𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑝𝑎𝑛𝑦 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑡𝑟𝑖𝑝 𝑎𝑠 𝑎 𝑤ℎ𝑜𝑙𝑒. 𝑇𝑜𝑛𝑦 ℎ𝑎𝑠 𝑎 𝑣𝑒𝑟𝑦 𝑠𝑡𝑟𝑜𝑛𝑔 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑏𝑟𝑜𝑎𝑑 𝑘𝑛𝑜𝑤𝑙𝑒𝑑𝑔𝑒 𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑣𝑖𝑑𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑔𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑡 𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑚𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑎𝑟𝑦 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑠𝑢𝑝𝑝𝑜𝑟𝑡 𝑜𝑛 𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝑎𝑠𝑝𝑒𝑐𝑡𝑠 𝑜𝑓 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑡𝑜𝑢𝑟. 𝐼 𝑤𝑜𝑢𝑙𝑑 𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑑𝑖𝑙𝑦 𝑟𝑒𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑚𝑒𝑛𝑑 ℎ𝑖𝑚 𝑡𝑜 𝑎𝑛𝑦𝑜𝑛𝑒 𝑐𝑜𝑛𝑠𝑖𝑑𝑒𝑟𝑖𝑛𝑔 ℎ𝑖𝑠 𝑡𝑜𝑢𝑟𝑠." - - Pᴇᴛᴇʀ T, Cᴀᴘᴇ Yᴏʀᴋ Tᴏᴜʀ 2023
Watch the Video -
Cape York Carnage (not ours!) We visit Palm Creek, Gunshot Creek, Bramwell Station, plus Tony's Tips on Vehicle Checks (Everything, all the time: 30m30s) - from the YouTube series #The Feel Good Family
Hire an adventure ready 4WD Camper from our trusted supplier, Overlander 4WD Hire, and receive our exclusive *10% discount off the hire price. Click here for more information about the 4WD Camper.
*Discount is on hires of 14 days duration or longer. Applies to Toyota vehicles for Simpson Desert, Cape York, Kimberley and Arnhem Land Tours only. Check vehicle specifications against our requirements.
• StarLink Wifi - internet when we're camped remotely.
• Exclusive riverside campsite on the first night.
• Dinner on the first night at the Lion's Den Hotel, with transfers.
• 3 dinners: Lion's Den, Atherton Pagoda Chinese, as well as Bramwell Station dinner & entertainment (an institution on the Cape!).
• 1 Lunch - prawn salad rolls on Chilli Beach from the Portland Roads "Out of the Blue" Café.
• Thursday Island Ferry and Sightseeing bus trip - full day tour.
• Weipa Mine & Town Tour - 3 hour tour (get ready for a factual mind explosion! There's more to Weipa than holes in the ground).
• Western Cape Eco-Tour Sunset Cruise - 3 hour tour (complete with bubbly, beer & nibbles while the sun goes down over the Gulf of Carpentaria).
• Jardine Ferry fees .
• All campground fees including: Archer River Roadhouse, Merluna Stn, Weipa Campground, Bramwell Stn, Loyalty Beach Campground, Hann River Roadhouse campground.
• National Park entrance & camping fees including: Lakefield NP, Eliot Falls NP, Iron Range NP.
• Highlights of the Old Tele Track - Palm Creek, Gunshot Creek, Cockatoo Creek, Fruitbat & Eliot Falls (without wrecking your vehicle).
• Pre-tour help and advice on vehicle and gear setup.
• All the arrangements and bookings for the tour (just get yourself, your gear and vehicle to Cooktown for our first night).
• Full-time, professional tour guide/4WD instructor with a Cert IV qualification in 4WD training & current first aid certificate.
• "On-tour" help and advice throughout the entire trip over the 2-way radio. (You will be warned of oncoming traffic and hazards. Your guide will co-ordinate with oncoming vehicles on the tight tracks. On difficult sections, your guide will be out of their vehicle to help you and instruct you personally).
• Reliable lead vehicle with all safety, recovery, communications and emergency equipment - Satphone and Garmin inReach (tracker, emergency beacon & satellite texting), winch, snatch straps, Max Trax etc. - You don't have to carry recovery gear, but you can if you like (most people carry a spade, Max Trax, a snatch strap and the appropriate shackles).
• A day off "Up the Top" for an optional fishing trip or just a day off.
• Tyre changing and mechanical assistance.
• Spare 2-way radios.
• Bird and Animal spotting, photography & spotlighting sessions - esp. in Iron Range National Park; bird/animal ID books and apps.
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED?
• 4WD Vehicle, fuel, food (other than stated above), camping gear, insurance (vehicle and personal).
• Any other optional extras - eg. Fishing charter in Bamaga/Seisia (let us know well in advance if you want to go, spaces are limited $490pp); helicopter scenic flights at Weipa or Seisia.
WHAT ARE THE 4X4 VEHICLE AND GEAR REQUIREMENTS?
• This tour is suitable for off-road camper trailers - please discuss your trailer with us if applicable.
• A high clearance 4X4 vehicle with low range.
• Upgraded, heavy duty suspension - even on a new vehicle. Standard suspension will not cope with the rough roads.
• All terrain tread pattern LT tyres (Light Truck construction) with over 60% tread remaining (ie. about 7mm min). A second spare is not mandatory for this tour). Discuss suitable tyre types with us. Not all LT's are created equal.
• Fuel range of 600 km is required for this tour. There is generally plenty of fuel available along the way.
• 40L water storage - plenty of water available along the trip route.
• Tyre deflator and digital tyre pressure gauge.
• Good quality compressor with a gauge with a trigger so that you can read the pressure quickly.
• Good quality UHF radio base set (Uniden, GME or Oricom recommended) fitted into your vehicle by a UHF specialist installer, and a substantial aerial - 6.6dbi, 1 - 1.2m in length, with large base - 30mm (not the slim springy ones. These will break on the corrugations).
• Some spares are required to be carried eg. air, oil and fuel filters, fan belt. A full list is provided on booking.
• A mechanical checklist is to be completed and returned by a qualified mechanic at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the tour.
• An medical form is to be completed and submitted at least 2 weeks before departure.
• A tent or camp set up that is EASY TO PUT UP AND TAKE DOWN. This should take no longer than 15 mins each time (this will make or break your trip).
• Insurance - make sure your insurance company covers your vehicle for off-road driving. NRMA/RACQ etc will not recover your vehicle from remote tracks. Only Club 4X4 Insurance will pay for your vehicle recovery in remote situations. There is an option with Club 4X4 to get up to $30,000 for remote recoveries. (Our vehicle is insured with Club 4X4 but we are NOT sponsored by them).
• Travel Insurance - as with any holiday, you should get travel insurance in case of unforeseen circumstances (such as getting Covid just before or during the tour - check the insurer's Covid policy).
CAN I HIRE A 4WD VEHICLE & CAMPING GEAR?
Yes you can. Hire a fully equipped 4WD Vehicle from our trusted supplier, Overlander Adventures, in Brisbane (other locations coming soon). Click here for information about the Hilux 4WD Camper.
WHEN CAN I SEE THE FULL ITINERARY?
Itineraries are provided once your deposit has been received.
Please note that the itinerary is subject to change depending on track conditions, weather, vehicle issues, border restrictions etc.
AI Website Generator